The number of breast cancer cases is increasing day by day. Out of many types of cancer, breast cancer is the most common type of cancer which affects women around the globe. However, few cases of breast cancer in male have also been found. Breast cancer generally occurs in women who are 40+. Breast cancer starts from the milking ducts or the lobules which supply milk to the ducts. The milk in women’s breast is supplied to nipples from these ducts. The breast cancer which starts from ducts is known as ductal carcinomas, while the breast cancer which originates from the lobules is known as lobular carcinomas. The number of ductal carcinoma cancer cases is more than that of lobular carcinoma ones.
Signs of breast cancer:
- Slight lump on breasts
- Pain in a breast not in menstrual period
- Colour change of breast
- Rashes around nipple
- Swelling on armpits
- Swelling at a particular area of breast
- Inverted nipple
- Discharge of blood from nipples
- Change in breast size
Factors behind Breast Cancer:
- Age: Women who are 40+ as of their age are more prone to breast cancer. Once their menstrual cycle stops and chances of getting pregnant finishes, it is more likely that they may develop breast cancer.
- Genes: if anyone in family is having or ever had breast or ovarian cancer, then the chances of getting breast cancer increases.
- Early period or menopause: If a women has her periods earlier than the usual time or she enters the stage of menopause quite before than the risks of getting breast cancer increases.
- Obesity: It has been found that women suffering from obesity are more prone to develop breast cancer.
- Consuming Alcohol: Reports suggest that consuming alcohol increases the chances of getting breast cancer.
- Cosmetic Surgeries on Breast: It has been found that women taking cosmetic surgery on their breasts are more prone to breast cancer.
How to diagnose breast cancer?
- Visit to a Doctor: Visit a physician for having a breast examination.
- Mammogram: it is a type of X-Ray for detecting breast cancer.
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast MRI
Treatment for Breast Cancer:
One can opt for surgery or radiotherapy as a treatment to breast cancer. There are various types of surgery and radiation therapies. It depends upon the type of breast cancer, patient’s health, patient’s preference and cancer stage. Few types of treatment are:
- Surgery (Lumpectomy, Mastectomy & More)
- Biological or drug therapy
- Hormone therapy
Prevention is better than Cure:
Prevention of breast cancer is any day better than treatment later on. Here we bring some prevention for avoiding breast cancer:
- Say No to Alcohol consumption
- Exercise regularly
- Have a healthy & nutritious diet
- Avoid cosmetic surgery on breasts
- Maintain your bodyweight
- Postmenopausal hormone therapy
- Have self examination regularly (Ask your doctor about how to self examine breast cancer?)